In the 1870s, Hoults Yard was developed for Malings Pottery, expanded from a nearby factory over 2,000 workers produced one million pieces per month. Stretching over 10 acres with a pioneering Victorian production line it was hailed ‘The World’s Biggest Pottery’, and had its own stables, blacksmith, railway depot and school.
Bought in 1948 by the Hoult family it continued as a pottery until 1963, where it was closed to take advantage of growth in their logistics/delivery business, Hoults Removals, founded locally in 1917. Fred Hoult sold Hoults Removals to Pickfords in 1983 but retained ‘Hoults Yard’ which he began to develop incrementally with renovation across the 250,000 sq ft of building space.
Hoults Yard was effectively an industrial wasteland from the 1960s through until the 1980s when developments began on the Quayside. Part of the charm of the site is that, whereas many of the developments have obliterated the past (whether that is with modern office high-rises or the transformation of the Byker Wall), Maling Exchange has worked with the past and reinterpreted it for the 21st Century.